Homemade Insect Repellent


My day job often involves working outside, sometimes in buggy swamps and woods. 
Generally, I don't have much luck with store-bought bug spray, so last week I made my own.

It's really simple


I used Tea Tree Oil, Citronella, Lemongrass, Peppermint, and Frankincense essential oils.
There are many scents that insects don't like, but I think Citronella is the best. 


Simply melt down 1 part beeswax and 1 part coconut oil in the microwave. 
Then add several drops of each essential oil. Don't be afraid of adding too much, the smell is 
what repels the insects. 

You can buy empty chapstick tubes and small round tins at the craft store in the soap-making section. 

As you can see, filling them can be a little messy (or maybe I'm just sloppy), but no worries. 
Once it hardens, just wipe off the outside.

I tried out my insect repellent the other day. I rubbed a bit on my exposed skin (arms and neck).
My co-worker was eaten alive, and I escaped the day with just a few bites.

♥ Jessica


0 comments:

Post a Comment